Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Easy Chicken Curry and a Request!

Since moving to Japan we have been eating a lot of curry! I've learned there is a difference between Japanese and Indian Curry. I definitely prefer Indian Curry- although I like both. I wanted to try making Curry at home and so found this recipe online. It turned out great the first time I made it- no tweaking needed and we all loved it. I thought it would be fun to share. I'm curious- Do you like curry? What kind? And does anyone out there have a recipe for Naan bread? You can't buy it at the store here, and it seems like it would be easy enough to make, but I can't find a recipe!! If you have one- please share!!




Easy Chicken Curry




1 lb boneless, skinless Chicken Breast (3-4 pieces)


2 Tbsp Curry Powder


1/4 tsp cinnamon


2 Tbsp Olive Oil


1 medium yellow onion- thinly sliced


2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced


1 can low sodium chicken broth


1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (now you know it's gonna be good!)


1 1/2 tsp salt


1/4 tsp black pepper


Cooked White Rice


1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)


1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds (optional) ( I do double these- I love the crunch they add)




Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Toss in a bowl with curry and Cinnamon, then set aside. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and zucchini and cook until soft or about 3-5 minutes. Remove form heat.


Heat the remaining oil in skillet. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer. Return the onion and zucchini to skillet and heat until chicken is cooked through- 5 to 7 minutes. If you want a stronger curry flavor you can add more now- just sprinkle a little into the liquid mixture. I usually add a little more, just a sprinkle or two.


Serve in bowls over rice and top with almonds and basil!


Makes about 4-5 servings

2 comments:

SheriDawn said...

I've never had Naan bread but Allrecipes.com had a recipe. Don't know if its the same or not but you could check it out and see :)

Mommacita said...

Tried it! Liked it! Dad liked it too--he wished it would have had more "bite" to it so will add more curry next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe!