Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rustic Peasant Bread

I LOVE this bread!! It is by far my family's favorite. I love that it takes very little planning ahead and is very quick to make. It tastes to me like that bread you get at Macaroni Grill. I make it whenever we have soup and is my "go to" when I have to take a meal to someone. Give it a try- you won't be disappointed. Even if you aren't much of a baker or have experience with homemade bread- try this one! It is easy and fool proof.
Ingredients:
1 pkg yeast ( I prefer Bread Machine yeast- even for this kind of stuff, it's just faster!)
2 cup warm water
1 T sugar
2 t Kosher salt
4 cup flour
cornmeal
Melted Butter
Italian Seasoning (optional)

Mix yeast, salt, sugar and water in a WARM bowl and stir until dissolved. (I just send my glass bowl around in the microwave for about 2 minutes before hand) Add flour and stir until combined. Do not knead this mixture. Cover and let rise one hour or until doubled in size.
This is what mine looked like:



Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with corn meal. Spray your hands with cooking spray and remove dough from bowl and place in two rounds on the cookie sheet. This is rustic bread and they won't be all pretty and smooth. It is part of this breads charm and ease- just go with it! This was mine:




Let these rise an additional hour.

Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning then bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven to 375 and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush again with butter. Serve warm!! If you want to score major neighbor points- run one of those hot loaves over to them and then sit back and enjoy all the praise. They won't ever have to know how easy it was! I won't tell!!!

1 comment:

SheriDawn said...

This is so good! The boys and I ate almost an entire loaf by ourselves in 15 minutes.