Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What the heck are these? (and a salsa recipe)

You might be familiar with these:



For me on the other hand I about made a fool of myself at the grocery store when I saw them!! I have not seen or eaten a jalapeno since leaving the states last August! It is shocking to me- a Mexican food lover- that any country or cuisine can live without jalapenos!! But Japan does!


I bought a pack of these right away and could hardly make up my mind on what to do with them. I finally decided on some salsa, kinda obvious, but we have been having to make due with jarred jalapenos so even salsa was exciting for us. So here is my favorite easy salsa recipe made with my $3 jalapenos!!




1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes- drained


2 cans of Rotel- also drained


1/2 of a red onion


Juice from one large lime or two small limes


1 tsp sugar


a shake of cumin


1 jalapeno (if you live here and want to make this after jalapenos are no where to be found use jarred jalapenos to taste, I usually use about 1/4 cup)


1 bunch of cilantro


4-5 cloves of garlic


slat and pepper to taste




Just throw it all in your food processor and pulse it to the desired consistency and then enjoy with chips or your favorite Mexican food!


No comments: